Saturday, September 10, 2005

Nostalgia Interrupted

I've been out of action for quite some time haven't I? Have been squeezed at work of late. By squeeze I do not mean boss's squeeze, I mean I am being made to put in every single waking moment here. When my colleagues leave, I am here to bid farewell, and when they arrive back in the morning, I am here to welcome them. The only way they have of knowing I ever went back home is the fact that I am in different clothes every day, and am not smelling like rotted flesh.

Actually I quite like my new lifestyle. Its better than going out and being humiliated constantly. Something thats become quite a regular exercise for me.

A couple of weeks back I was paying my mobile bill, and was accompanied by the boyfriend, when I this guy walked up to me, and said those dreaded words, "*&&^*# is that you??" Before I could return a polite "hey whazzup", the guy says "What happened to your weight???"

Damn, I hate meeting old school mates.

It didn't help that the guy in question could have challenged Adnan Sami's girth in school, and was now about 500 pounds lighter. Yours truly on the other hand, resembles a Renaissance/Bottecilli painting (they liked their women well-built). In school, it was the proverbial "ek phool lots of malis" situation. Now ofcourse is a whole different story.

So anyway, here I am paying a monstrous phone bill, being recognized by a chap from school, whose opening comment is my body mass index. I would've tried to impress him by talking about my work and all, but the guy was really not someone who'd be impressed with my corporate career. Ofcourse, the fact that he's made his blistering comment infront of the boyfriend doesn't help. Now he knows I was thinner, he may expect me to be so again! Curses curses.

Anyway, so its about 11:15 in the night, a Friday night, and I am at work. How depressing is that? When I am like 80, my grandkids (if I find the time to have their parents), will want to know what I did as an adventurous young woman, and all I'll have to tell them is this Friday night late stay at office. How sad is that? A colleague and I made this startling discovery today, that the folks in most companies who get promoted, aren't the ones who stay late and get the job done. No sir, infact they are the ones who come to work late and leave early. They give the impression of being good managers (they manage to make me stay late and finish a project for which 4 other people are also responsible).

Ok I am officially depressed. I read this today to cheer myself up. You may like it too. Infact, tomorrow, I'm going to put up the female version of that exercise. Cheers people.

2 comments:

SNM said...

Thats no startling discovery, lady! Its the cosmic truth. I've learned it the hard way, too :(

Hitanshu said...

Get rid of the sad tone girl!

btw, the man's blog is back alive. Just had something inspiring to post :D