Friday, March 10, 2006

Continued...

Some time back I was tagged to write a work of fiction. I duly completed the tag here. After the post, some very polite people asked me to continue the story...so I've decided to do so today...See this is what mom was talking about when she said "Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it!"

It was him. There was no mistaking it. He smiled at her then. That same aggravating grin she remembered from all those nights ago. Was it a month back, or a year? It felt just like yesterday. She hadn't been the same since then.

"So, fancy meeting you here", he said. "I wondered where you had dissapeared to. I had got your number from Deepa and called you a few times but I always got the answering machine." She was still thinking of what to say...should she tell him that everytime she came home from work and heard his voice on her machine, she either dropped the laptop bag on her foot and once even accidenlty nuked her cell phone in the microwave. Naah...that hardly gave the right picture considering what had happened.

"Well, I had been a little busy...the company needed me to set up a new office at a foreign location", she replied. "There! Ha!" she thought. "What do you think of that now eh?" Ofcourse there was no point in telling him that the foreign soil was no further than good 'ol Bangladesh. Details hardly mattered.

"So what are you doing here? I thought I recognized the hackles at the back of your neck from a distance..." he asked. "Its a river...with rapids...people usually come here for the rafting. What do you think I'm doing here? Annual reports?" she retorted.

He said "Well you never know..Anyway about the other night...I hope there are no hard feelings." "No hard feelings", she thought, "Sure, for you maybe". Instead she decided to play it cool and said, "Oh absolutely not...these things happen all the time. No big deal. I've hardly given it a thought." "Grapes?" he offered again. "I wasn't kidding about going off Vit C at night you know...Do you know what it can do to you? Atleast as a guy you should avoid it", she said. He seemed to squirm on his rock at that...and looked at the grapes contemplatively...as though wondering if the price of the grapes would be too high. She almost burst out laughing...All grapes did was make her burp a bit...but what the heck. He deserved it.

He: So are you here on an office trip or otherwise?
She: I'm here with some friends
He: Office friends?
She: Yes
He: Boyfriend?
She: None of your business!
He: Oh c'mon...Don't be shy
She: Who are you here with?
He: Oh I'm here with my team
She: Female subordinates?
He: I like to think of them as equals
She: Yea right!
He: Your rock is so much smoother than mine
She: Stay by your rock. I came here first
He: Ok ok...Man...people will think you're some kind of victorian prude
She: Prude? Prude! What the hell! What kind of a nut are you?
He: Actually, speaking of prude, I am a Jane Austen fan. What do you think of Pride and Prejudice?
She: *Asshole...I'm not spoiling my beautiful night by discussing Jane Austen with him under a moonlit sky. Besides all I know of Jane Austen is some movie with Aishwarya and a white guy dancing to some really bad songs*
He: *If she would ony loosen up...I've even pretended to like Jane Austen. What more could a woman want!!*
She: I have to go. Good night
He: Wait. Before you go. There is something I've been wanting to do all evening


Hmm...thinking of 2 possible alternatives now. Will get back to this later.

24 comments:

Lalit Singh said...

Why the hell do u have to leave it like that.. dangling
Now u will have to come up with a third post. muwahahahahaha

//Aishwarya and a white guy dancing to some really bad songs*
Lols yeah and the "Indian Naagin Dance" by the sidey actress

Deepa??

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

lalit: Did you really think it was going to be as easy as that?? "Deepa"....tsk tsk.

venus said...

waiting for your part-2 and possible part-3 too now!

silverine said...

You have done it again!! Left us dangling.

LOL on Aishwarya Rai dancing to some relaly bad songs :))

Awaiting part 3

sinusoidally said...

Yes I am waiting for the forthcoming parts as well.

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

venus: Hey thanks for dropping by. You can read part 1 of this in the post titled "I'm It". This is part 2. Part 3 is swimming in my head...I wonder if my boss knows what I'm thinking :-)

silverine: lol...btw, I relate to your experience when colleages surreptitiously read our blogs and don't know the author is right there. Such power I tell you :-))))))

sinosoidally: Thanks sista. I've learnt this week that fiction writing is so fickle. The future part of the story I dream up, changes depending on what kind of mood I'm in!! Today my boss is biting my ass...and not in a good way :-((

Maithilee Shirgaonkar Jamsandekar said...

meandered my way to your blog. great stuff!! will keep coming back here, i guess. :)

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

lalit: ok, so it was a wild goose chase this time. there were no hints. next post i promise i'll put in one. you're latest post about meetings had me in splits. as in "splits of laughter", not the gymnastic splits :-D

nikki: glad you liked :-D

meeta: please do come back. always good to see new faces...well..ok..names here :-)

the graduate: i'm not working on part 3 today on account of PMS. trust me, any continuation i write today will end in blood, gore, and kitchen knives. give me a few days, and it may just end in sex instead :-)))

Lalit Singh said...

About the 'bone of contention', I am telling you, I have seen women who actually do that while waiting for the meetings to start.

silverine said...

"Such power I tell you " Yeah tell me more :))))

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

perhaps push him/her over the edge of the rock :)

Lalit Singh said...

YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Vaibhav said...

oye! Time for more (angry young female) posts!

You really ought to write professionally or something... this is pretty good stuff!

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

lalit: actually i know what you mean. some women at work really drive me up the wall too. there were these women from the training function who would actually sit and discuss their satin petticotes. One would call her maid every hour to enquire if her kid had eaten parathas. Next call would enquire if the kid had done potty or not. Seemed to me all the kid ever did was eat and pass shit. Perfect HR material I tell you. I'm going on an off-site today...with my team. Nothing excites me more than spending 2 days in a bus with a bunch of drunk people some of whom I pretty much already cannot stand for 5 days when they are sober. Hurrah for me!

Silverine: Us MarComm babes have power like no one else. We are the only ones in the service industry who get to give attitude to poor hapless vendors. Must be the reason why we never fight at home. WHy should we when we can release all the tension at work!

Swathi: HAHA...you never know. Put two profesionally frustrated MNC workers alone together and you know never know what may happen. Actually, I may find out during this weekend. Hmm...I can forsee some interesting blogs out of this trip.

Vaibhav: Oye. Thank you yaar... (all said in nasal punju accent). Let me come back from my trip. I'll get more grist for my mill ;-)))) muuaaahhhaaahhhaa

Lalit Singh said...

Why do I have this sinking feeling that some poor souls will be reduced to shreds, right here on this blog after your trip???
Waiting for it!!!

and about the women@Work...there was one@onsite who used to attend onsite offshore calls from home, with my neighbor who (thankfully) was in another project, with her baby in her lap I guess... every now n then between the call the baby would start crying... and "Ek min huh" and then she would pacify the child...
And the same thought echoed in the 10 cubicle radius "For the love of God woman, atleast mute the phone!!!"

josh said...

:-)

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

lalit: oh man...i so get you. "ek min huh"...hahaha...not that I don't respect working moms, mine was and is one too, and I hope to be one as well...but still ya...how can u insist that ur whole office hears about ur kid's potty or it cyring.

yes...post trip ripping shall start soon. as of now, my bones hurt...i think it'll b easier if i just use my nose to type instead of my hands.

josh: :-))

my bones hurt. my head is swimming. i had a fantastic time...but now, i need my bed, some beauty sleep, and then i will be back with more. cheers.

rebel_on_loose said...

Haha...was bloghopping n ain't i glad i got here...
Lol@Aish dancing 2 bad songs...
n like every1 else...wondering wht happens 2 the poor chap.
Wild imagination indeed!
Way 2 Go !

Organic Argan Oil Benefits Hair, Face said...

Nice. Modern day Arabian nights lol.

Hey whatdya think of google ad-sense ads?

Cheers
http://indiantroubadour.blogspot.com/

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

rebel on loose: hey, thanks for dropping by! yea...the guy...well, first its mandatory for me to post about my recent trip...so much happened that i'm still reeling!

all that predicted jazz: Welcome! Ad sense...hmm... I haven't really given it much thought. I'll check it out and see if I want that.

Lalit Singh said...

Rise n shine lazy bones
get your act together!!!

dearbharat said...

U certainly have flair for qriting fictions. But I have always wondered if it is possible to write a particular kind of feeling which one has never expereienced. I believe it is not so then it implies that every fiction has a reality associated observed or participated by the author. Am I right??

Well the cyclones of thoughts that emerge in the fictions do sometimes appear in my mind but they emerge from my experiences.

Mind Curry said...

now that you have said the story, are you gonna kill me? ? ? ?
;)
nice story by the way! esp the jane austen bit!! wonder what the options will be now! the movie bride and prejudice part 3?

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

bhaarat: hmm interesting question. yes you're right when you say that perhaps everything we write is based on the feelings we have experienced, no matter how minutely. i'll have to drop by now and check your forays into fiction. i've always hidden my fiction and have just started posting it on the blog here.

mind curry: thanks! i'm hoping a suitable ending to the story should come to me soon enough. no point coaxing it is there? but since the PMS has now passed, its safe to write fiction again :-))) i better be quick. after all, there is just a 2 week window period (hahahahaha) before it strikes back again.