Monday, September 25, 2006

Holy Matrimony

I know I haven't written in ages.....But what was I supposed to do. My creativity is being sucked dry by my relatives who are planning my wedding.

Let me start at the very beginning. I returned back to Delhi (40 deg + humidity) in the middle of August from a wonderful vacation in Toronto (20 deg + cool winds).

Husband-to-be took me sight seeing in his city. The highlight of the tour was our visit to what is popularly known as a "Novelty" store. A store that sells candles, movies, blow-up dolls, things that look like 12 inch sausages...well, you get the picture right? No we didn't buy anything (personally, I figure people need those things after 3 years of marriage). But still, worth a good laugh...

I saw men and women walk right in and out of the store without a trace of embarasment. Some were even brown. Now how does one tell the difference between a seasoned-almost-white-brown, and a Fresh-Off-The-Boat-Brown (FOB brown)? The guys standing outside the store, peeking looks inside, and pretending they are reading the Toronto Star (held upside down) are the FOB browns. Somehow, all of us in the sub-continent, Indis, Pakis, Bangis, Lankis...all of us are collectively taught to be ashamed of our sexuality. Amazing then, that we have the fastest growing population in the world! Compare this with Europe, one of the most open societies in the world - who are paying citizens to have babies to battle declining birth rates. Lesson to the Indian goverment - Advertise Sex!

So what happened after I returned? A wedding date was decided. To anyone, who has ever fixed a wedding date without a pandit deciding an auspicious occasion (suiting the side of the family that gave a bigger dakshina), you know what I'm talking about when I say this is just the first of the battles. No date will suit everyone. You could pick any date in the calendar. Someone will always have a kid with exams, someone will complain about not getting leave that time of the year, and someone will just say no for the heck of it...After the to-be-married couple try to spend a couple of weeks doing people-pleasing, they give up. In our case, we told our families, they could pick any date they wanted...but the wedding might not be as much fun if the bride or groom or both were missing in action!

Once we had a date, we set about to the task of appeasing those who we couldn't please. I need to mention here, that for some reason, women always end up with the appeasement task. What is it about us? Is it the extra chromosome (or is that the missing one?)? But somehow, all the man has to do is turn up at the right place, at the right time. Everything else is for the woman to handle. I'm not saying this is deliberate because the man doesn't want to help. Its just the way it is. If I have a child, I'll beg him/her to elope.

Just like appeasement, everything else from venue to cake to color combinations - is all the bride's work. And God Forbid, if you think you have a choice in the matter, you've had it. You must, you must pick something every one else likes, if even you think its puke.

When I started, I had accidently believed myself to be important to the wedding, till a friend at work, also planning her wedding told me that I was the least important person in this whole thing. After all, I am just the bride! Another friend told me that weddings are a test of patience. You try to get through the months preceding that day, and the day itself, one day at a time...

So why am I so venomous about my own wedding. Well for starters, my relatives decided that this being the first wedding in the family in 15 years, it needed some added celebration...like all of them organizing it for instance. Can someone say too many cooks...?

They are all trying to do everything they couldn't do at their own weddings...and making a total mess of mine...and they FIGHT...about everything. Being in the unenviable position of needing to please everyone, you may see this bride in some "unique" attire.

You'll see me walk down the aisle wearing a saree that looks like a gown, or a gown that looks like a saree, wearing 5 veils, to please my 5 aunts. The makeup will make me look like a goth chick, or Raveena Tandon from the early 90s, considering aunty 1 leans towards baby pink based makeup for that fresh innocent virginal appeal, while aunty 2 prefers a more smoldering look ("he'll be wondering when he can be alone with you" - eeuuuu, please please don't talk to me about that ever again).

Then there is the cousin brother, who wants a bollywood bhangra DJ at the reception and also to book the best disc in town for the night. When I asked him his opinion on how this will fit within our budget, he said "No comments on that" NICE!

And how can I forget the uncle who has ordered a 5-tiered wedding cake...I'm afraid when they click photos, it'll look like my groom is holding hands with the cake, because I sure as hell wont be visible behing that monstrosity.

Then there is my dear beloved husband-to-be, who bought a wedding cake top online. Most couples choose romantic figures with the groom sweeping the bride off her feet. My man picked one that has a groom being dragged by the collar by the bride...obviously to the altar...Husband-to-be thinks its the FUNNIEST thing since Archie set up a date simultaeneously with Betty and Veronica.

And moms...yours and his. Especially yours. Seems like the emotions of the time get to them so they feel the need to pick fights with you all the time. Then when you fight back, they cry, making you want to crawl right back under that big dirty rock where you belong.

So, fellow brides-to-be, or those who may join us soon, in the near or distant future, here are some handy tips for us all -

1. Remember, YOU are not important. Everyone else is.
2. If you have a choice, keep it to yourself.
3. If you have a dream wedding, don't ever imagine you can get it for yourself...Instead hold your horses...Force you niece, nephew, child suffer ur perfect wedding instead. May the circle continue.
4. Be nice to mom. You'll regret any other way later.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Don't worry. From my recent experience with my brother's wedding, i am guessing everything will be worth it in the end.

Moreover only a memorable wedding like you have described would be the one you'll love to tell about to your grand kids.

So cheers!

Amey said...

First of all, I guess congratulations are in order. I mean, however much you crib about it, it's your wedding after all :)

Second of all, you are The Bride. The bride and the groom have least part to play in the wedding, in that order. So, that guy is going to be standing there, having absolutely next to no part to play, you can forgive him for his little joke...

And last of all, recent studies show that the "X"tra chromosome is the cause that women are so good at appeasing people.

silverine said...

"personally, I figure people need those things after 3 years of
marriage
" ROFL

"The guys standing outside the store, peeking looks inside, and
pretending they are reading the Toronto Star(held upside down)
"

"Is it the extra chromosome (or is that the missing one?)? "

Girl...this is the reason I come here...to read class stuff like this!!! I think I will sue you if don't blog more often :p

"If I have a child, I'll beg him/her to elope" LOL my
sentiments exactly...the child of course would be me .. anything to
get away from your big day being trampled upon by hazzar relatives

:)

Congratulations!!! And is the groom Canadian?

p.s whatever you do, you can't be rid of the relations who come creeping out of the woodwork dusting the old traditions to be showcased for the wedding :)

Lalit Singh said...

Hola Senora
Finally...
personally, I figure people need those things after 3 years of marriage
OK... i will ask u in 2009 what did u guys get from that store

Force you niece, nephew, child suffer ur perfect wedding instead
Hmmm so there is your revenge with all those unmarried cousins n all

cousin brother, who wants a bollywood bhangra DJ at the reception
Oh so u ahve a cousin whos a brother as well??? :P
Delhi mein shadi ho n no bhangra.... Ominous!!!

All the very best!!!

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

paresh: hey thanks paresh! yeah, i know i'll remember it for sure!! in the end, it all is definitely worth it...but its a tight rope to walk for the poor couple who are damned if they do and damned if they don't...i'm really waiting for one of my nieces to grow up, so i can avenge this...HAHAHA :)

Fleiger: Thanks, you're sweet!! Yeah it is our wedding, and we are looking forward to it, disaster though it may seem like right now :)) And in the end, it is definitely worth it.

silverine: Hey, thanks Girl!!! I have to catch up on all the the stuff you've posted in recent times that I've missed! I'll have you know, that I've put aside my Nora Roberts at work, coz I'd rather read what you have. Yeha, agree with you on the relations thing...Ofcourse some of them only come out because it is a mela akin to the camel fair in Rajasthan, where one can find suitable mates for ones beasts...

rob@blogoftheday.org Hey thanks Rob...I appreciate it!

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

lalit: cousin brother...i mean ofcourse thats what i say..if i say cousin, it could mean a sister...and if i say brother, it could imply a blood brother...haina? haina??

Lalit Singh said...

its one of those expressions like kerosone oil, thermos flask et al...
just pulling ur leg :)

hope and love said...

congrats..!!
i agree with silverine.. you must keep posting..
well the marraige.. i can imagine how it is..
:))
dont worry.. it will pass fast..

Amey said...

Hey, that's me... Always looking on the positive side and all, you know...

But, wedding does not mean you get break from posting. Weddings are the best place to get some good funny incidents, you know. And its your weddigng and your blog, so these need not have you in starring role ;)

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

lalit: ok baba :))

sagar: :)) i like his sense of humor too...

today morning i saw this guy wearing a t-shirt at work that said, "the name is bond. covalent bond." i'm thinking of getting it for him as a wedding present.

hope and love: oh yeah, i just want to get through it. it gets worse by the day i tell u!!

Fleiger: I wish I could be as positive too! But you're right, I can get a lot of blogging material from almost every phone call my relatives make.

Amey said...

Err... that was supposed to induce you to update the blog ;)

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

fleiger: :) yes i will...i had a busy wonderful sunday tho. went for lunch with my mom, then shopping, then for munnabhai, and then home...saw criminal minds, and then slept off...but write i will!

Safari Al said...

Congratulations!!!

There one more very interesting woman I know is getting married...sigh!

Is there going to be lots of booze at the marriage?

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

safari al: my cousins tell me that people will refuse to believe that a marriage took place if there is no booze and botti (non-veg for the uninitiated).

So yep, open bar. Wanna come???

Safari Al said...

Yeah...if its ok with you. Ill drown my sorrows of seeing this very interesting woman i had a crush for getting married. And the booze is on the house right?

Jokes apart...I got a job finally. Actually two. I am ditching the first one because it is a banking job which dont want to do. The other one is a R&D job in hardcore networking. Sounds good?

After you get married will you reveal your identity???

Kusum Rohra said...

LOL! Am here for the first time :)

My personal wish is to elope i.e if I ever find someone who will agree to marry me :D

After all, I am just the bride!

Tch tch tch so all those crazy cousins, pummy aunties, and pameja uncles got you!


ROTFL!!

My man picked one that has a groom being dragged by the collar by the bride...obviously to the altar...Husband-to-be thinks its the FUNNIEST thing since Archie set up a date simultaeneously with Betty and Veronica.

Not to worry, I am sure you will have a blast :D

Congrats! And all the best!

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

Kusum Hey, good to see you here! Yeah man, I would love to just elope. Not that I don't love my family or anything...but Pummy Aunty and Raheja Uncle along with Pinky and Prince can be a real pain in the you-kno-what.

Come back again!

Di said...

congrats...!!! but sheesh..they dont let u plan ur own wedding??!.....threaten to elope on the day of the wedding...hope it works then...

but for ur own sake dont try that dialogue with ur mom...thats one helpless situation dear..

Anonymous said...

You wrote "She once even rejected this great guy, who is now in and out of the Indian cricket team, and plays county cricket in London."

That would have to be Aakash Chopra.. I can bet on it.

Akira said...

LOL I can imagine...hopefully the matrimony is blissful! :)