Tuesday, June 07, 2005

What Men Want

Did you go see "What Women Want" with a gaggle of friends?

I know men went because they thought the movie would finally answer the age-old question that Freud took to his death-bed.

I know there must've been women who went to see it, hoping they could figure out what they themselves wanted. Hey, don't shoot me. I come in the second category myself !!

But I realize now that I need to watch a movie called "What Men Want". Why you ask?

Well, a few weeks ago, I complimented my best guy friend from school. I called him "sweet and nice". I can already see a few men nodding their heads sadly, and tsking away at my sheer ignorance. Well, I'm sorry! How was I supposed to know the rules had changed. My friend was so offended, I almost bought him a day at the spa to make it up to him.

He said he'd rather be considered dangerous, a menace to society or wateva (but he still wants to get this manicures and facials). He thinks the whole "rebel without a pause" image is more sexy to women that the nice guy image (which according to him translates to sissy boy). He was even more upset when my Mom (and also my boyfriend) were happy to see me go away on a weekend with him, ALONE. They said he was "safe". When I told him this , he got even more upset. I asked him, "Would you prefer if they thought you would seduce me?" He puffed away in irritation, and said "You wouldn't understand"!!

Me no understand. Me get even more confused when the next day at office, I was trying to debate the virtues of hair straightening against re-bonding with some female colleagues, and my macho boss walked over. I really thought, this time we've had it. And he said, "You girls are really ignorant..." He then went onto explain the subtle differences between straightening and re-bonding and listed their pros and cons like an expert!

Talk about a role reversal. Will someone be nice (I'm sorry, dangeours) enough to explain this dichotomy to me? I promise. In return I will spread rumors that you are a rake, with a devil may care attitude. You get your manicures and pedicures, so you're hygenic, but you do them roughly, with a glint in your eye, and a raw stubble on your manly, sexy exfoliated jaw.

6 comments:

Amit Pandey said...

Blame it like Beckham.... He is the one who started the meterosexual fads - wearing female undies, getting Pedicure and Manicure done. That he was much eulogised by our 'desi' Shobha De didn't help matters.

BTW, reading 'Surviving women'( by Jerry Pinto) turned out much better than watching 'What Women Want'

The elderly camel said...

like your style

Manu Raja said...

Dunno how long back this incident happened...But there are still guys who would like to be nice and sweet rather than an incarnation of Sobhraj or Laden...

scorpigle said...

That's a refreshing insight from a female...
God.. ! men are changing and women know it!!

Kunal said...

This metrosexual thing associated with men... all a bloody hype by the media.

Most of the guys (n that includes me) are still the Classic hardcore types.

Never confuse "outgoing and funny" to "cute (yucks!!) and nice"

Hitanshu said...

Well, what's the big deal? I know several guys who know a great deal. For all you know, they just might have alot of women friends, and they would've picked up these things over time. Or, like some males, he would've needed some cosmetic treatment at some time, and would've learnt.

This ain't the 50s, hun :)