Thursday, December 01, 2005

Highlights

Its been a long hiatus hasn't it. I've missed the whole writing my heart out experience.

Here's the highlights -

1. It was mum's b'day last Saturday. I bought her an LG B2100 mobile phone. Now I'm a die-hard Nokia girl, but this was the cheapest camera phone available @ 6000 bucks. Good to get mum started on. She's quite fond of playing around on her cell and I figured it was about time she moved onto a new toy. Ofcourse its a different matter altogether that I've been messing with this mobile more than she has. The cell isn't a patch on a Nokia, but LG has this neat website from where you can download cool stuff, and transfer data between mobile and PC without using bluetooth etc. I'm scared of the bluetooth dongle. Don't ask me why.

2. We had an office party on Tuesday night. I can't for the life of me figure out why it was organized on a Tuesday night. Perhaps they think that folks will drink lesser in mid-week parties, so organizing one in such a manner would save money. I wonder what's next - washable toilet paper maybe? A bunch of the senior management types decided that they would put up a dance show for us lesser mortals. Its bad enough that we wonder what work they do on a daily basis, but seeing them put up a well-coordinated show confirms my long-held suspicions about their utilization at work. One lady infact took things a little too far by wearing very few clothes, and dancing in a skirt on stage, exposing her lacy whites for the world to see. A colleague commented quite snidely today that our lady of the lacy whites has been "climbing the corporate ladder lad-by-lad."

3. I was supposed to give the boss some utilization data. Like all good quality- certified companies, mine also requires us to enter time data in a system on a daily basis under the appropriate buckets. At the end of the week, they do some complex mathematical analysis to figure out exactly how over or under utilized the workers are (if you're a blue-eyed baby, you're over-utilized, and if you're loved as much as a genital wart, then you're obviously under-utilized). I am quite a stickler (or OCD as my boss says) for entering data in the correct buckets. Last week, I hit a near orgasmic high when I realized that all my data was entered and accounted for in the neatest possible fashion. The sad realization that I'm truly single hit me at that exact moment.

4. There's a nice fellow who sits next to me and my snot boy neighbour these days. Me and brit accented old neighbour were chatting new guy up, when new guy casually mentions that he's been scuba diving for about 6 years. Ever so often, when he has friends down from Europe, he takes them to the reefs in Andaman. Immediately afterwards, new guy said he was hungry. Seeing as how he's somewhat cute, if already taken, I offered him an apple. He politely accepted and told me that this entire month he's on a fruit only diet. He also casually mentioned his last career as journo, and how he's an art dealer. Last week, new guy was attacked by some thugs at night. Instead of running away, he actually fought them, and came to work the next day with scars all over. Man, talk about belonging to another planet. New guy also apparently has a fiancee he dotes on. I once overhear him saying that he didn't care what his mom thought, but he loved his woman the way she was. The chances of a guy saying that are about 1 in 1,0000000000 as a friend at work put it. I know I should feel hope that men like that are around, but I just felt a bit inadequate. Gimme a guy who drinks beer, watches cricket, and is confused by women any day.

Since the last 2 weeks were spent on a bit of a roller coaster ride, I thought I'd compile a short list as I went along -

Things/People I Love -

1. Approachable bosses
2. Confident women at work
3. The auto wallah who actually agrees to go by a non-tampered meter
4. The one finance guy who actually helps you out
5. Friends who let you get drunk and vent without passing judgment
6. Mums who say "I think you know how to use this phone better than me, so why don't you take it"
7. Retired uncles and aunts who insist on scanning the matrimonials and actually make you laugh by reading out the funniest adverts. There was one that said "girl with defect preferred"
8. Folks who leave behind comments on blogs
9. Payroll
10. The sales person at the cash counter who says "Madam, this trouser is accidently marked at 1500, but its actually on sale for 1000"

Things/People I Hate -

1. People who sit really close to you at trainings, and try to chat you up.
2. When you refuse to respond, the same people will force burp throughout the meeting
3. People who chew their food with their mouths open.
4. Men who douse themselves in cologne so much so that they merely have to walk by and I have a sneezing fit.
5. Women at work who are on the phone constantly discussing everything but work. This includes discussions about satin petticoats and the color of their kids' potty.
6. Rude cab drivers.
7. The guy who insists on serving chapatis at lunch, wears a plastic glove, but scratches his balls anyway.
8. Project managers who first assign you to Project A, then change their minds and give you Project B, then again throw you to Project A, and then again to Project B.
9. HR
10. The sales person at the store who insists "Madam, yeh apka size nahi hai"

15 comments:

Lalit Singh said...

Good to have u back gal.
Washable toilet paper how come u come up with such ideas?? EWWWWWWWW
Sad realization of being truly single.. when my PL asked me on one of the rare occasions when i left off early.."teri GF to hain nahi .. itni jaldi ghar jaake karegaa kya?"
guy who drinks beer, watches cricket, and is confused by women take ur pick... there are literally hundreds

PS: nice to know am among ur loved ones... hehehe

Anonymous said...

You have an amazing style of writing. Enjoyed u'r blog very much.

dreamer said...

hmm.. a good one girl... visited ur blog every day in hopes of reading something new... my prayers have finally been answered! just posted this so i cud make it to your loved ones list...

Unknown said...

Spice is your middle word. Luvd it.
I am truly amazed at people who have this ability to make lists!

Unknown said...

...meant "Middle name" not word. :)

silverine said...

We had an office picnic the other day, a sort of impromptu half day do, like your midweek party.The fact that no one wanted to go did not matter, the big balls thought it made good copy in the newsletter. Thankfully no undie showing gals at the picnic, but lotsa drunk guys dancing to some balle balle music.

About the people you hate and love, I agree 100% on that. In fact I writing a post on a ball scratching, nose digging caterer in my co .

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

lalit: glad you like my imagination. i think this whole making single men and women work late is such a con game played by corporates. tell your pl u don't have a gf coz u spend all ur time at work! you're definitely in my loved ones list :-)

anonymous: next time, please do leave a name and a link. would love to read what you have on offer.

rj: now i am well and truly flattered. thank you very much :-)

lazy strokes: thanks buddy. i'm planning my next list already.

silverine: woman you rock the party. i loved your entry re marketing. btw, i think my snot boy neighbour moonlights in your caterer's company ;->

Vaibhav said...

Seeing as how he's somewhat cute, if already taken, I offered him an apple.

What inSINuations!

:)

Good to see you back...

Safari Al said...

Exams done...broadband at home, no more dirty hostels for the next twenty day.. FOOOD AT HOME Yipee...and good to see a post here!


there is one thing i hate and those are these jerks in college who have this habit of sticking their nose into anything and screwing it up for others just for the heck of it!!!

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

vaibhav: am sooo glad u liked d apple bit :-D left u a message on ur blog. The Euro-English one CRACKED me up.

safari_al: the key to surviving college is to either be a potser boy/girl, or just not give a damn. since the only folks who become poster boys/girls are probably brad pitt and jennifer aniston, I think u shud stick with just not giving a damn!

Safari Al said...

yeah...i figured that is the best way out. i don't give a damn...but ironically it was because i gave a damn that i now have to stop giving a damn...or is it the other way round???

nevermind....

and as always, yes there was a female involved.

Lalit Singh said...

oops!!
m early here
its just been 16 days since the last post...
should check out after a couple of weeks maybe!!

PuNeEt said...

hii
first time here...

Nice post...

The one finance guy who actually helps you out
thats my profession ;-)

The sales person at the cash counter who says "Madam, this trouser is accidently marked at 1500, but its actually on sale for 1000"
lolzzz tooo coool
ROFL

Keep rocking
Cheers

Vaibhav said...

This is becoming another "long hiatus", isn't it!!

someone's working too hard! :)

Lalit Singh said...

Happy New Year!!