Thursday, October 13, 2005

Catching Up

Its been a lazy couple of weeks at work. This week, I've had to go in to work only for 2 days, and have been off all the others on account of the festive season. I love India.

The boss is holidaying in Goa. Since the cat is away, the mice have been having a ball of a time. The women have been chasing Navrathra food round-the-clock because they are fasting (the irony of that one never ceases to amaze me), and the men have pretended to bitch about it. All in all, a good time.

We moved to a new building and seats were re-arranged. I used to sit next to this brilliant colleague, whose only oddity was a penchant for talking to himself every now and then in a strange British accent. I considered it an eccentricity, but I must admit, it worried me some every now and then.

My new seat mate happens to be quite a bundle of oddities. He's a veritable quiz master and likes to question me about EVERYTHING. "Is your mouse working?" "Is the keyboard ok?" "Does the tray move?" Are you going for lunch?" "Are you using your headphones?" "Why have you colored our hair?" "Are you working?" He does this incessesantly the entire day till I go stark raving mad. Some days I wonder if he may just start questioning me about my morning bowel movements. Quite capable he is too. To top it all off, he loves digging his nose and making snot balls, which he proceeds to launch by flicking them off his fingers. He also likes to scratch his balls. Yesterday, he was explaining something to another colleague, and throughout the conversation, everytime he made a point, he pulled out one nostril hair. I saw 5 land on his table. After this, he casually saunters over to me, and puts his paws inside my cheeslings pack and eats some. Now I'm a nice girl, who likes to share, but there are limits. I felt no regret whatsoever throwing that packet straight into the bin. The very thought that some poor woman has to sleep with him makes me want to loose dinner. I miss the British accent.

I ended up at my favourite pub about 5 times in the last 10 days. The staff have grown accustomed to seeing me with now ex-bf for many years. They know my staple order of Bacardi Breezers, or LIITs and my habit of getting high with both pretty easily. I get princess treatment from them, and quite like the idea that I can go in and order my "regular" and get it too. However, I made the tactical error of going there this time with other male buddies. The hosts and manager kept doing double takes when they saw me with these different males - incidently a different one each time. I refused to go 2 days back, but ex-bf, now good friend, made me go to face my demons. It was not funny when the manager came and asked me if everything was ok. Have decided to find new favourite joint. Somehow the idea that I need to update the pub manager on my personal life makes me a tad uncomfortable.

I guess its all a bit like divorce. I got the restaurant, but he got the pub.

I've been having these mid-night girlie chats with a friend's fiancee. The woman has become like my spiritual guru. I love talking with her, but she has a very irritating habit of making me face home truths. She thinks my whole "we are good friends" policy is a load of bullshit. She has told me that I'm in denial. I've told her I'm not. Apparently saying that is one of the signs.

I caught Red Eye and Salaam Namaste. Former is good time, latter was so confusing in the second half, I didnt know which Hollywood reproduction I was watching.

My first boss's husband is in town these days. This was a couple I was extremely fond of. He was the first person to take me drinking, and both husband-wife were very protective of me. They were also loads of cheap fun. Sort of like your favourite naughty relatives. He's in the movie business, and dresses with quite a flair. Am thinking of taking him to the pub. Just what I need. To be caught drinking with a 40 yr old who loves to wear skeleton ear studs.

I bought an LG Flatron with surround sound today. Nothing like retail therapy. However, for some reason I cannot fathom, I asked the sales man if it came with a remote. I think a few conversations around me actually stopped. Now I know what "pregnant pause in a room" means.

Thanks to all the great messages folks have been leaving here, and the mails I've received. I am back to embarrasing myself on a regular basis, so I know life is moving on...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

***On a reconciliatory tone***

Enjoyed this post of yours very much! Oh yeah men do have several such disgusting(women think so) habits... keep watching your friend over, you'll discover a few more!

Abt our last conversation - as you said "I'm writing this for myself" I've heard this before so many times...If you're writing for yourself, go find a pen and a diary. Online blog, ppl will read, and throw their minds out. Thats just the fun part of it, rt? :)

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

Hey Lazy,

I like to believe men do more than just fart and dig their noses and scratch themselves!! I believe I'm still wearing the rose-tinted glasses :-)

Glad you liked the post. As for online diaries being for public consumption, folks have the choice of saying and thinking wateva they like, reading the blog, commenting on it, coming back for more, never reading it again at all - basically anything and everything. I do it everytime I read a blog. As bloggers, we have the choice of agreeing / disagreeing with the comments, deleting then, keeping them, writing with them in mind for the future, ignoring them - anything and everything. That's what makes this so interesting. The interactivity - you can let it stimulate your mind for the next blog, or you can let it dictate your next blog. Its all about choices.

As for writing for themselves, I have a feeling that if so many folks claim to do it, thats probably why they are doing it. Perhaps somewhere along the line, the demarkation between "for-self" and "for-reader" gets fogged up a bit, but then again, for some it doesn't. So what's your motivation?

silverine said...

Gross!!! Does he actually do all that and then 'shares' your cheeselings? Yuckkkkk and I thought such characters existed in comic strips.

I guess its all a bit like divorce. I got the restaurant, but he got the pub.

Now thats an original line or what?

Great attitude or to borrow a line... "I am lovin it" !!

Hitanshu said...

I disagree. I'd almost become an attention whore when i gave up blogging. its only rare inspirational gyaan posts that I wish to circulate, which hit the blog.

And IMO, the greatest disease plaguing us isnt bad breath, it's denial :)

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

Hitanshu,

I enjoy our philosphical chats. I'd love to see you post more.

Cheers.

silverine said...

Hi,
I use Stat Counter. You can get it from http://www.statcounter.com/. It gives you a lot of details and its free too. Have fun tracking Keywords hehe ;)

Hitanshu said...

bebe,

You miss my point. There are two ways of jumping on a pedestal and shouting gyaan out to the world:
- The first is to take your own life, ascribe some larger than life patterns, and write it so that alot of your readers can empathise with the self-depreciation
- The second is to hold up some other guy's face and ask people to listen.

Clearly, I've moved to the second. So until the next big issue - no posts! I've lost a certain need for external validation/input/feedback!

PS: Thanks for the nice words on our "philosophical chats" - feel free to msg or call anytime. Lekin post, nah, too much work!

Unknown said...

Rite! My stuff is mostly personal experiences, spiced up a little, and occasional screaming out of what I feel. You have to throw in tidbits of personal stuff..If its totally objective no one will really care for your blog. I'd like my blog to be read and commented. And for the diary, I have another, obscured from public view!

**Off-topic**
I liked the introduction of Captcha(spell rt?) thingy in the comments area. All the good blogs were getting deluged by spam!

Safari Al said...

damn...i want to start working too. i wan to go and buy a flatron...

as for breezers, i drink them with daddy at home. outside i down quarts of romanov by the dozen.