Saturday, October 21, 2006

Diwali Joys

Here is a list of things I love about Diwali:

1. I loooove the sweets. Although I love salty stuff more, Diwali time, I just love the sweets...Besides there is a valid excuse to stuff my face with motichur laddos, sandesh, gulab jamuns, ras malai...ummmmmm...And best of all, thanks to the adulteration, I end up with loosies the very next day. Pooping it all out means never putting on the extra calories. If anyone of you know better, and want to contradict me out of my beliefs, stay away!!!

2. I hate crackers and the noise they make. I made the casual remark to my fiance, a 4th generation Canadian Indian, and he was perplexed and very worried. He kept asking me how I would survive in Canada if I hated crackers. I thought lack of sleep and math exams were robbing him of his sanity, till I realized that "crackers" is what they call white people in Toronto...Well well, the things I learn thanks to Diwali.

3. I love dogs and I hate how they start crying because of the damn crackers. I want to bring them all into my house, but they poop and pee when they are scared..Damn...Who'll clean up the mess?

4. I love having the excuse to buy clothes and jewelery. I turn into a total female and love getting beautiful silks and gorgeous heavy Indian jewelery...The rest of the year, I never wear it, because I hate it so much!

5. I love watching all of Delhi crowd the markets. No matter which market you go to, its totally crowded...And Delhites are obsessed with creating bigger impressions on just about everyone. So you have people carting around HUGE giftboxes...You'd think they'd be heavy and full of stuff...Then someone gifted one to us. It looked big enough to fit a mini TV into it...When I opened it, it had a big shiny plastic box, with 6 teeny weeny compartments filled with 3-4 cashews and raisins each! Rest of the box had air. Hmmpff!!! I prefer those heavy Haldiram boxes instead. Refer to point 1 for any clarifications.

6. Diwali gives me a holiday. Except on those horrid years when it falls on a Sunday or something. I think pandits should have a secret agreeement to always declare Diwali on a Friday or a Monday. That way, I get a 3 day weekend.

7. I love Eid also as it comes just after Diwali. My office has to give a Eid holiday too, coz otherwise we accuse them of being partial to the minority religion. Thats how we got a 5 day weekend this time!! Yay!!

8. I love watching lights. I think diyas look nicer than those blinky lights. I wish everyone would go back to diyas...You know what looks wonderful? Houses decorated with diyas and mango leaves and marigolds.

9. The holiday gave me a chance to download 6 Harry Potter books. I'm reading them all on the lappie now and preteding to my mom that its office work...har har har.

10. I love my mom. She's too smart for me. She figured wizard and magic talk wasn't a part of my office work when she snuck up on the lappie and read over my shoulder. I've been drafted to clean my room, pack away extra clothes, go shopping for curtains, and visit ALL my relatives.

Oh well, I still love Diwali. Have fun you all. Be safe.

21 comments:

silverine said...

Happy Diwali dear. I had a 5 day weekend too but went to work today, so I can take a comp off during Xmas!

Agree totally with points 1 (only Gulab Jamoons), 2 and 3!!! And I love Diyas and lit earthern Diyas this year like the preceding years. They look so lovely!!! Got lots of Biryani from neighbours which I hogged now. I just love this season!!!

Canary said...

hehe.. i agree with most though i most identify wen u say visit ALL relatives.. :)
even my mom has blackmailed me into visiting all sundry people :(
loved ur blog..

Safari Al said...

i types a really nasty comment about you becoming fat-chicks and then blogger cupped.

Sheesh...i wanted to say something nice and then this stupid technology doesnt allow it at all.

Argggghh...

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

silverine: i had a 5 day holiday too. just don't ask me what it was like to come in to office today...its another blog...possibly later tonight.

canary: hey, thanks for dropping by...mommies r just too good at that emotional warfare thingy aren't they?

safari al: just a suggestion...mebbe if u hold back the vodka on the rocks before u comment, it might be easier!!

i'll applaud neone other than safari, who can explain lucidly the first para of his comment!!!

Kusum Rohra said...

These three months (Oct-Nov-Dec) are zimply great!

Diwali_Ramzan_Children's day_Xmas_New year la la la la la la (I know you love my singing but I think I will stop for now) :P

Belated happy returns, and hope you had a good time visiting all the realtives. I had just two days off for Diwali, but for Xmas mez talking a long long leave :D

Anonymous said...

Read ur Previous post on marriage again, and if I were yo take a guess, you age is between 29-32 yrs. :-)

Anonymous said...

Read ur Previous post on marriage again, and if I were to take a guess, you age is between 29-32 yrs. :-)

Safari Al said...

see...no one explained. And i wasnt doing vodka on the rocks. I was rock solid stable. Sober as hell.

What i wanted to say was that if you became fatter then you wouldnn't fit on Air-Sahara seats and then you would have to pay more. Two or maybe three seats worth of fare.

Never mind that...i am on this missoion to make people shed weight. thanks to my obsession of getting meself a six-pack abs. its just that the gym is a long walk from my hostel and i am a little lazy. Why i want to be model - level hunk is another story.

Cupped is IIT madras lingo that somehow for some innane reason that we here picked up. google it...

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

kusum: woman ur blog rocks! thanks for the wishes...ugggh...no holidays in nov...doesn't that jus suck?

anonymous: well, i'm glad my rants make me sound soo mature ;o)))) i'm actually 24. thank for dropping by.

safari al: so let me get this straight...u come to a woman's blog to tell her she is fat and can't get any fatter??? hmmm....son, u have a lot to learn about us you know...before you manage to get any.

Anonymous said...

Then how come you've heard 'Samundar me naha ke' ?

If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya said...

anonymous: Oh I"m very fond of cheesey Bollywood numbers.

Yea yea, I know, there are a ton of you reading this who are shaking their heads in pity...C'mon admit it, you all danced to "Humma humma" and "Shahar ki ladki..." too!!

Safari Al said...

When I finally got my flight, I was relieved to note that this time around the plane had life jackets and did not expect me to float on a cushion the size of my ass.


You wrote that...

Give me credit for remembering that you wrote it.

Does marriage mean a reception where you will have to stand on display on a stage and greet random people who come and say , "how you have grown...the last i saw you you were so small..."

and if someone does, please tell them that people tend to get bigger as they grow older and then write a post about that. it should be a scream.

Di said...

"crackers" is what they call white people in Toronto

:O really??! i love doggies too..its so horrid to see them all shaken up during diwali na... :(

and love ur name here.. :)

Lalit Singh said...

hey If...
hope u had a great time this diwali
for me it was my third diwali away from home so i didnt enjoy it as much.

Anonymous said...

Woman you absolutely rock and u write amazingly well.
Are you married already and was it the great Indian tamasha or did better sense prevail.
Best of luck and lookin forward to read your future blogs. Discovered this yesterday and already spent hours readin thru it all.
cheers
PS: Not a despo tryin to ask if u are single:))

Siddarth said...

You write pretty good...

Anonymous said...

lagta hei ki kudi Canada chali gayi hei... ab samjho 6 months ki chutti ho gayi.. (on an average honemoons last for 6 months)..
ab 6 mahine baad ki aapko hum logo ki yaad aayegi

hope and love said...

great post..

Lalit Singh said...

KNOCK KNOCK
koi hain
hellloooooooooooooooooooooooo

that girl in pink said...

long time, no post?

shruti said...

hey ...nice to read u again and guess what I got a real treat ..how ..well I had to catch u wiht 3 of ur posts ..absolutely brilliant ....love ur take on sooraj barjatiya ...thou most of our marriages in north indian are like that ...and sometimes get evry enjoyable ..atleast I ahd a blast at my twins wedding cos she is very close to me ..u should blog more often dear